Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common form of sleep apnea in which the muscles in the back of your throat relax and narrow during sleep. This can stop normal breathing causing snoring and interrupted sleep, sometimes several times a night. Symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea can include:
- Loud snoring
- Difficulty breathing during sleep
- Gasping for air during sleep
- Insomnia and/or excessive daytime tiredness
Sleep apnea can have a major impact on your quality of life and is a potentially serious disease if left untreated. Once diagnosed however, there are a variety of treatments that can provide relief. You may not think of going to a dentist for your sleep apnea, but at Family First Dental in Kennewick, WA, we use specialized oral appliance therapy to help you combat this condition and get a full night’s sleep again.
Oral Appliance Therapy
For patients with mild to moderate sleep apnea, oral appliance therapy can help keep the airways open during sleep. The appliance will fit like a retainer or mouth guard and works by positioning the jaw in a forward position preventing the airway from narrowing. The benefits of oral appliance therapy include:
- Improvement of obstructive sleep apnea symptoms – restful sleep is restored, decreasing headaches, irritability or anxious thoughts surrounding sleep.
- Provides as an alternative to Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP).
- Easy to use – no electricity or extra appliances are needed.
- Travel-friendly and quiet – can be used anywhere and it is a useful treatment for those who may travel a lot.
At our Family First Dental clinic, our dental specialists can guide you through the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea and help you find the correct treatment to provide you relief. If you are suffering from sleep apnea and wish to explore your options with a qualified dentist, call us to book an appointment at our Kennewick, WA clinic. It is time you took control of your sleep again and we are happy to help you do it!